A Company with a Social Purpose
ALTER ECO promotes a form of global commerce where priority is given to working with marginalized farmers to build trade relations based on solidarity and sustainability. This approach ensures them fair remuneration that covers the full cost of sustainable production, and also provides a premium to satisfy their fundamental needs and their family's, and to invest in future improvements and the development of the community. It therefore promotes the respect of persons and of their environment. Alter Eco embraces Fair Trade values and aspires to connect consumers and producers. Among our core values are transparency, solidarity, fairness, and dedication to quality.
ALTER ECO AMERICAS is a start-up dedicated to the import and distribution of food products, sold under the first transversal Fair Trade brand in the U.S. The ALTER ECO product line, conceptualized and designed for mass distribution, and now adapted to the specificities of U.S. consumers, has been available since June 2005 in selected retail chains.
A 100% Fair Trade Brand
Alter Eco's products are specifically designed for the mass market and present the following unique features:
- Fair Trade: All products are produced and traded under the Fair Trade standards of FLO (Fair Trade Labeling Organization). All packaging carries the TransFair label, whenever it is available in the related category.
- Organic: Most of our products carry the "USDA Organic" logo and are certified by QAI. The remaining products are undergoing the organic certification process.
- Quality: Stringent quality and hygiene controls, annual suppliers' audit, as well as the traditional know-how of our producing organizations ensure the exceptional quality of our line.
An assortment of 18 products from exotic regions is available in the U.S. :
- 7 skus of dark chocolate, from Bolivia: Velvet, Almond, Blackout (85%), Cacao (73%), Twist (Orange), Mint and Quinoa.
- 1 sku of sugar, from The Philippines: Unrefined Mascobado cane sugar.
- 3 skus of quinoa, from Bolivia: White, Black and Red quinoa.
- 5 skus of rice, from Thailand: Thai Jasmine rice, Red rice, Coral rice, Purple rice and Black rice.
- 2 skus of olive oil, from Palestine: Mild and Robust olive oil.